7.19.2012

Running in the USA

 Brian and little sister Becca obviously take their runs very seriously.

Remember when I talked about how stinkin hot it was running in Saipan?  Well, I sure do miss those sunset runs down Beach Road with the ocean stretching out beside me, and that cool ocean breeze... but it's so much easier to run in the midwest!  I've been staying on track with running during this last month in the states, and it really does feel cooler to run here in the midwest even though the temperature is actually higher than in Saipan.  It's the dry heat here that is much more enjoyable to run in, in my opinion, than the humid, swampy heat of Saipan. (Saipan, I love you so much, even with your humidity :)
 Brian, Becca, and I took a 3.5 mile run in Ft. Hood, Texas.

In the post linked above, I also made a goal to run a half marathon in 2012 and I'm going to do it!!  I found a race in mid October that I am planning on signing up for, although I'm waiting to see exactly what area we will be in at that time.  I've also chosen my 12 week training program.  Want to see it?


WeekMonTuesWedThursFridaySatSunTotal Miles Run
1Rest2 milesRest2.5 milesRest3 miles2 easy miles9.5 miles
2Rest2 milesRest3 milesCT or Rest4 miles2.5 easy miles11.5 miles
3Rest2.5 miles2 miles3 milesCT or Rest5 miles2 easy miles14.5 miles
4Rest3 milesRest4 milesCT or Rest6 miles3 easy miles16 miles
5Rest3 miles3 miles3 milesCT or Rest7 miles3 easy miles19 miles
6Rest4 miles3 miles4 milesCT or Rest8 miles3 easy miles22 miles
7Rest4 milesRest4 milesCT or Rest9 miles3 easy miles20 miles
8Rest4 miles3 miles3 milesCT or Rest10 miles3 easy miles23 miles
9Rest5 miles3 miles4 milesCT or Rest11 milesRest23 miles
103 easy miles4 milesRest3 milesCT or Rest12 miles3 easy miles25 miles
11Rest4 milesRest3 milesCT or Rest5 miles2.5 easy miles14.5 miles
12Rest2 miles20 minutesRest20 minutesRace Day! 13.1 milesRest15.1 miles + 40 minutes


I've never really gotten nervous over 5k's or my 10k last year, but I'm nervous about a half marathon!  It seems like such a longer distance.  I'm a little scared that I'll run out of energy and just want to walk it.    My 12 week running schedule starts next week, and I think it will help to just get into it and see how my progress is going. As we were looking up races this morning, I asked Brian, "do you really think I can do this?"  He answered, "Oh yeah, you can!  No problem."  So, let's get started!

via 
Here's my running inspiration for the week.  Sometimes I'll go online and look up pictures of running to get myself motivated for a run- it really works!

3 comments:

Grant & Kara said...

Go rach go! you can do it!

Crystal said...

I'm running the Cape Cod Half Marathon in October.... You should come out for it. :) We'll provide the place to stay.

You can totally do it. You've got genetics on your side.

Rachel said...

Kara and Crystal I love the encouragement- it helps!! Crystal, I would love to come do the Cape Cod race with you- Brian and I will have to see where we end up this fall :)