12.05.2012

Thanksgiving

We stayed in Salt Lake this Thanksgiving because Brian and I both had to work the day before and after. But that's okay because we were so happy to be invited to two awesome Thanksgiving gatherings. 
First we went to our friends Dan and Liz's house for a huge lunch.  Here's the girls, Liz, the other Liz, me, and Jamie.
Brian and I made sweet potato casserole (my favorite) and stuffing.
Brian, Charlie, and Taylor getting ready to eat!
The food was so good and so was the company.  Loved spending the day with our new friends.

Next, we went over to our family friends' Thanksgiving dinner.  They were finishing up and we were stuffed, so we ate dessert there and hung out with everyone.  


Dance party in the basement with the wii.
Jerry and Ann, our hosts :)
Bells being silly
Tessa and her dad
Jennilyn, me, Gem, and a little bit of Tess :)   

We  our Salt Lake family!!

On another note, Brian and I have both been trying to cut down on our spending.  We purposely moved to Salt Lake with very few possessions, planning to buy new furniture when we got here (which we did).  We also didn't have very many winter clothes (since we lived in mostly tropical weather for the last three years), so we had a lot of catching up to do with buying everything from winter coats, to scarves, to snow boots.  I feel like we have been in intense spending mode for the last few months.  

Then, I found myself just getting into the habit of spending.  I love shopping, and it can be such a wonderful excuse to say, "Well, I really need those curtains, and need that sweater cause it's cold here."  A couple of weeks ago I read, "Don't store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  Store up for yourselves treasures in heaven... For where your treasure is, your heart will be also." (Matt 6:19-21) I felt God reminding me that this is where my heart should be. 

I really want to cut down on spending and get back to living simply with our possessions, which is something that has always been important to Brian and I.  I want to be grateful for what we have and not constantly feel the need for more.  

No comments: